Brian Shaw Dominates In Winning 3rd Arnold Strongman Classic Crown
Brian Shaw of Lupton, Colo., won his third Arnold Strongman Classic title in dominating fashion at the 2017 Arnold Sports Festival in Columbus. The event also served as the Arnold Pro Strongman World Series Championship.
Shaw won the contest’s first three events and was second in the fourth event to take a commanding 39-31.5 lead over second-place finisher Hafthor Bjornsson of Iceland going into the final event. In the Austrian Oak event, held on the Battelle Grand Stage during the Arnold Classic Finals, Shaw tied for second after he lifted the 430-pound version of the Austrian Oak overhead two times. Bjornsson won the event with three lifts. Shaw finished with 47.5 points and Bjornsson 41.5.
For the victory, Shaw received congratulations from Arnold Schwarzenegger, $72,000 and the Louis Cyr Trophy. Bjornsson earned $22,000 for finishing second. On Friday, Shaw won the Bale Tote by carrying the 1,565-pound apparatus 13 feet in 14.87 seconds. He then won the Timber Carry by moving the 1,102-pound frame up a 35-foot ramp in 22.48 seconds.
Earlier on Saturday, Shaw took first in the ROGUE Elephant Bar Deadlift (991 pounds). Shaw was second in the Bag Over Bar by tossing an 85-pound weight over a 15-foot bar. Bjornsson won Bag Over Bar by clearing 90 pounds.
Shaw also won the Arnold Strongman Classic in 2015 and 2011. His three Cyr trophies is the third-most in history. Zavickas, who was injured and did not compete, has a record eight titles. Derek Poundstone of Connecticut is the only other man to win the event more than once, earning the Cyr Trophy in 2009 and 2010. Shaw qualified for the Arnold Strongman Classic by winning the Arnold Pro Strongman World Series qualifier held at Arnold Classic Europe in September 2016. The Arnold Pro Strongman World Series features qualifying events at Arnold Sports Festival events around the world, with winners advancing to compete in the Arnold Pro Strongman World Series Championship at the Arnold Sports Festival.
2017 Arnold Strongman Classic results:
- 1st place (47.5 points): Brian Shaw of Lupton, Colo., received $72,000
- 2nd place (41.5 points): Hafthor Bjornsson of Iceland, received $22,00.
- 3rd place (39.5 points): Jerry Pritchett of Phoenix, Ariz., received $17,000.
- 4th place (31): Mateusz Kielszikowski of Poland received $12,000.
- 5th place (29): Mikhail Shivlyakov of Russia received $10,000.
- 6th place (25): Vytautas Lalas of Lithuania, received $7,000
- 7th place (22.5): Dimitar Savatinov of Bulgaria received $6,000
- 8th place (20.5): Martins Licis of USA received $4,000.
- 9th place (12.5): Zach Hadge of the USA received $3,000.
- 10th place (3): Krzystof Radzikowski of Poland received $2,000.
The 2017 Arnold Strongman Classic was contested over two days in five events: The Bale Tote, The Timber Carry, ROGUE Elephant Bar Deadlift, The Bag Over Bar and The Austrian Oak. The Austrian Oak was held at the Battelle Grand at the Greater Columbus Convention Center as part of the Arnold Classic, Bikini International and Arnold Men’s Physique Finals.